The Clare Valley Wine Region, located just two hours north of Adelaide, South Australia, is world famous for its fine wines, excellent local cuisine, and beautiful scenery. The Skilladene Country Cottage is a great place for a romantic weekend away in the country and for a more leisurely stay to enjoy the full Clare Valley experience.
There are many fabulous places to dine out and enjoy delicious local food in and around Clare. Below are a few of our favourite places to eat out;
- Indii Restaurant – a small restaurant in the main street but the best authentic Indian food, Tandoori oven delights and takeaway.
- Wild Saffron – in main street opposite florist. Coffee and light lunch -(wraps and baguettes).
- Zest – in main street of Clare on left hand side (west side near pedestrian crossing) where there is a small mall - Open House (excellent gift shop) is on the corner. They do breakfast & lunch as well as coffee and cake; they do shut at 4pm however.
- Clare Hotel or the Middle Pub for wonderful country pub food with a twist. Try the Salt and Pepper Squid and the Middle Pub schnitzels.
- Mr. Micks tapas bar and tasting room at old Leasingham Winery. Gourmet food to share, sit on their lawns and sip the wines of Tim Adams.
South Australia's finest food and wine festival, the Clare Valley Gourmet Weekend, is held every year in May and is an event not to be missed. The Clare Valley Vintage Tasting is also part of the Gourmet weekend, which is a unique opportunity to taste a selection of unreleased Clare Valley wines at various stages of the wine making process.
The following wineries are our favourites because they are smaller, give personal attention and have real character.
- Shut the Gate Wines – try their Zabibbo and
- Mintaro Wines at Mintaro – excellent red wines
- Reilly’s Wines at Mintaro – great Grenache and good for fortified wines
- Kilikanoon Wines - a boutique winery with an international reputation, located in the heart of South Australia's stunning Clare Valley.
- Skillogalee -
a boutique family-owned and operated winery located in the heart of the picturesque Clare Valley in South Australia
- Sevenhill Wineries (a monastery with great old buildings and is a heritage site)
- Paulette's on the Mintaro Road for brilliant coffee and cake after a hard day wine tasting. Stop at their wonderful restaurant for lunch and enjoy the view across to the wind farms at Mt Bryan.
You might also like to experience the Riesling Trail which runs between Clare and Auburn and travels past many winery cellar doors and other visitor attractions. It is
suitable for recreational walkers, off-road bicycles, and even wheelchairs and pushers - ideal for a leisurely walk and some wine tasting.
The local markets are also worth a look to pick up some local produce or handicrafts.
- Sevenhill Markets on the last Saturday of the month – great fresh produce, breads and pastries.
- Clare Markets (at Show Ground) on middle Saturday of the month – mixture of produce, handicrafts and plants